TO DIVIDE A QUANTITY IN A GIVEN RATIO -
To divide a quantity in a given ratio, you'll need to follow these steps:-
(1) Understand the Ratio:- First, make sure you understand the given ratio. The ratio expresses the relationship between the parts into which you want to divide the quantity. The ratio will be in the form a:b, where "a" and "b" are two numbers.
(2) Add the Ratio Parts:- Add together the two numbers in the ratio to find the total number of parts. In other words, find a + b.
(3) Determine the Total Quantity:- Identify the total quantity that you want to divide in this ratio. This could be a specific amount of money, objects, or any other measurable quantity.
(4) Calculate the Size of Each Part:- Divide the total quantity by the total number of parts (a + b) to find the size of each part. This will be the unit quantity for the ratio.
(5) Allocate the Parts:- Multiply the unit quantity by "a" to find the quantity for the first part, and multiply it by "b" to find the quantity for the second part. This allocation ensures that you've divided the quantity in the given ratio.
(6) Divide the Total Quantity into Parts:- Divide the total quantity into parts according to the ratio. To do this, you can use proportions or direct division. Here's how:
Here's a step-by-step example:-
Suppose you want to divide $300 in the ratio 2:3.
So, you would divide $300 into $120 and $180 in the ratio 2:3.
Always double-check your calculations to ensure that the parts add up to the total quantity, confirming that you've divided it correctly according to the given ratio.