CONVERSION OF UNITS -
As we all know that, Unit is basic component of mathematics without which no calculation may take place. There are so many units, big units and small units. Big unit which may convert into small unit.
Before that we need to learn or know the short form of units, which are given below -
There some relations are given below -
RULES FOR CONVERSION OF UNITS -
1. To convert a lower unit into a higher unit => Divide by 10 or 100 or 1000.
2. To convert a higher unit to a lower unit => Multiply by 10 or 100 or 1000.
POSITION OF POINT SHIFTING -
1. Division By 10, 100, 1000 is done by shifting the decimal point to the left of the given number.
2. Multiplication By 10, 100, 1000 is done by shifting the decimals point to the right of the given number.
EXPLANATION FOR CONVERSION FROM BIG UNIT TO SMALL UNIT :-
▪ Write the short table from gram to centigram.
▪ Fill up the given values.
▪ The remaining units are filled up with zeroes.
All the values together gives the answer
There are some examples are given below for your better understanding -
Example.1) Convert 872 grams into centigrams. (When we convert Bigger to smaller unit => multiply)
Ans.) Given number unit is 872 g
g dg cg
872 0 0 = 87200 cg (Ans.)
- ALTERNATELY -
1 gram = 100 centigrams
872 grams = 872 x 100 [SHORT MULTIPLICATION]
= 87200 cg [ADD 2 ZEROES AT THE END TO MULTIPLY]
Example.2) 225 kg 85 g into centigrams
Ans.) Given number unit is 225 kg 85 g
kg hg dag g dg cg
225 0 8 5 0 0 = 225008500 cg
- ALTERNATELY -
1 kilogram = 1000 grams
1 grams = 100 centigrams
225 kilograms 85 grams = 225 x 1000 g + 85 g [SHORT MULTIPLICATION]
= 225085 grams X 100
= 22508500 cg [ADD 2 ZEROES AT THE END TO MULTIPLY]